Probably designed by Roberts, architect of several important buildings in Waterford, the house was built by George Keane’s grandson. The house is little changed today even though it was burnt to a shell on February 19th 1923 along with many others. Senator Sir John Keane fully restored the house as economically as possible using direct using. He built a flat concrete roof using a technique developped by Waller known as nofrango.
Inside the house are many reminders of the Afghan war of 1839 when an expeditionary force under the command of General Sir John Keane, a younger brother of Sir Richard Keane of Cappoquin, the second baronet, entered Afghanistan from India to forestall what was thought to be an imminent Russian invasion. There are prints depicting the fall of the Ghuznee Fort to the east of the Bolan Pass. The surprise capture of this fort in a daring night attack with the loss of only 17 British lives led to the surrender of the Afghan army. Kabul was occupied without further fighting and General Sir John retired to England to become Lord Keane of Ghuznee and Cappoquin with a pension of £2,000 a year for his and two successive lives - considered a lot of money in those days.
To view images click on the thumbnails below: